Welcome to Sifriyat Pijama for Little Kids!
What is Sifriyat Pijama for Little Kids (SPLK)?
Sifriyat Pijama is a nationwide program that instills a love of books and of reading and promotes conversations about our values and heritage.
Since 2009, this program—created by Keren Grinspoon Israel—has been operating in kindergartens all over Israel, and more recently in first and second grades, in partnership with the Ministry of Education. More than two million books are distributed a year to more than 300,000 children.
Recognizing the vital importance of exposing children to books from an early age, Keren Grinspoon Israel established a new program in 2015-2016 school year. Called Sifriyat Pijama for Little Kids (SPLK), this program operates in hundreds of day care centers all over the country and is aimed for children ages 2-3. Parents or sponsoring organizations cover part of the cost of the book, with the rest funded by the Harold Grinspoon Foundation, the parent organization of Keren Grinspoon Israel.
How Does SPLK Work?
Over the course of this year, children are introduced to eight high-quality, age-appropriate children’s books at their day-care center, published especially for them by SPLK. After reading the book in class and completing an activity related to the story, each child receives a copy of the book as a present to keep and enjoy at home with the whole family. At the end of each book are suggested activities for parents and children to do together.
For Parents — What Does the Program Offer YOU?
- Read the book together: We recommend reading the book with your child during a quiet moment, such as just before bedtime. Look at the illustrations together, spend time enjoying the words and the rhymes, and ask your child what they see on each page.
- Re-read the book regularly: Children love to hear the same story over and over, and re-reading the book regularly allows children to engage with the book in all its facets. Spending time together reading—whether Sifriyat Pijama for Little Kids books or any other books—can become a wonderful tradition for your whole family to enjoy.
- Do activities with your child: Each book contains a list of suggested hands-on, fun activities for you to do with your children after reading the story. We hope the parent suggestions will inspire you with ideas for talking and playing with your children, using the stories as a spring board.
- Work hand-in-hand with your day-care center: Periodically during the course of the year, your child will spend class time on one of the Sifriyat Pijama for Little Kids You can strengthen your child’s interaction with the story by taking part in any activities suggested by your child’s teacher.
- Contact us: Your opinion really matters to us! Please send your comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.